Amarapura is a former capital of Myanmar, and now a township of Mandalay. Amarapura is bounded by the Irrawaddy river in the west, Chanmyathazi township in the north, and the ancient capital site of Ava (Inwa) in the south. It was the capital of Myanmar twice during the Konbaung period (1783–1821 and 1842–1859) before
finally being supplanted by Mandalay 11 km north in 1859. It is historically referred to as Taungmyo (Southern City) in relation to Mandalay. Amarapura today is part of Mandalay, as a result of urban sprawl. The township is known today for its traditional silk and cotton weaving, and bronze casting. It is a popular tourist day-trip destination from Mandalay.
Royal palace of king Bodawpaya at Amarapura, during the visit of the British Embassy of Michael Symes, in 1795. Amarapura was founded by King Bodawpaya of the Konbaung Dynasty. He founded Amarapura as his new capital in May 1783. The new capital became a center of Buddhist reforms and learning. In 1800, Buddhist clergy from Sri Lanka obtained higher ordination in this city and founded the Amarapura Nikaya (Amarapura sect).
Bodawpaya's grandson, King Bagyidaw moved the Court back to Ava in November 1821. Bagyidaw's successor King Tharrawaddy again moved the royal capital back to Amarapura in February 1842. In February 1857, King Mindon began building Mandalay as his new capital city, 11 km north of Amarapura. With the royal treasury depleted by the Second Anglo-Burmese War of 1852, Mindon decided to reuse as much material from Amarapura as possible in the construction of Mandalay. The palace buildings were dismantled and moved by elephant to the new location, and the city walls were pulled down for use as building material for roads and railways. Part of the moat is still recognizable near the Bagaya Monastery. The city officially ceased being the capital on 23 May 1859 when Mandalay took over that role.
Sights of interestf; Pahtodawgyi – A stupa built by King Bodawpaya in 1816 outside the city walls.
U Pein Bridge
The Sanscript name Amarapura means "City of Immortality" although its life as Myanmar's capital was all too brief. King Bodawpaya initiated the move from Innwa in 1783 because he wanted to make a completely fresh start having acquired the throne through the brutal murder of his rivals and their families. The real intent might be that by moving the royal seat from Innwa to Amarapuraç the other royal families would never be associated with the throne. In 1823 Innwa was restored as the seat of government and although in 1841 the throne returned to Amarapura, King Mindon made Mandalay the last capital of the Myanmar kings in 1857.
The main feature of the charming little town of Amarapura is its many workshops. From practically every house you can hear the clacking of the looms as they produce the most exquisite longyis (traditional sarong-style lower garment) of cotton or silk. There are many bronze foundries and woodcarvers providing devotional objects such as Buddha images and gongs for the lucrative market in nearby Mandalay. All that remains of the former royal palace are the stone ruins - the teak buildings were dismantled and taken away to Mandalay.
Nearby is the U Pein Bridge, which spans Taungthaman Lake, linking the village of that name with Amarapura. It was built between 1849 and 1851 by King Baganç and at 1.2 kilometers is the longest teak bridge in the world. Early in the morning and late in the evening, it provides a popular atmosphere image for photographers. Pavilions and benches offer Myanmar travel visitors the chance to rest and give the local inhabitants an opportunity to sit and exchange information.
This magnificient monastery, founded in 1914, is one of Amarapura's main sights. This is one of the largest monasteries in Mandalay and at times there are more than 3,000 monks living and studying here. At 10:30 every morning hundreds of monks wait in long queues for their Swan (meals). At the same time, hordes of tourists stand watching and photographing them, and even in the refectory they cannot escape from the curious and often intrusive gaze of the visitors.
Crossing the bridge to Taungthaman village on the other side of the lake will bring you to Kyauktawgyi Pagoda (meaning ]pagoda of the Great Marble Image]) which is also worth a visit. This too was built by King Bagan in 1847 and is thought to have been modelled on the Ananda Temple in Bagan. It houses a large figure of the Buddha in bright marble, as well as statues of his eighty eight pupils. The entrances are decorated with 19th century wall paintings depicting the signs of the zodiac and scenes from everyday life.